ARTISTIC INSTRUCTOR: David Court
July 17 to 21
Learn how to analyze and break down a script, conceive a set concept, and communicate your design ideas to the director, set builders and other behind-the-scenes collaborators.
Set Design is a practical course for those with limited experience in theatrical design. It is ideal for theatre directors, actors, teachers and community theatre volunteers. Those interested in pursuing a degree or career in design should view this course as preparatory to the commencement of professional study. Note students are ask to become familiar with an assigned script prior to the start of the course.
In the course, participants will:
· Examine text and analyze set requirements;
· Explore concept development;
· Practice basic hand drafting skills, working within ½ inch or ¼ inch scale;
· Discover how to read and create a ground plan;
· Create a design, from thumb-nail sketch to 3-D model;
· Learn design communication techniques, and discuss constructive collaboration practices; and
· Explore set design presentation techniques.
This course can be taken as part of the
This certificate is given when completing
5 summer courses of your choice.
Total cost $2500 - a savings of $95 - $125 per course.